4 - 6
How to cook Cantonese Steamed Sea Bass
- 1 sea bass fillet (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into threads
- 6 scallions, cut into threads; green and white parts separated
- 4 tablespoons peanut or corn oil (can't use olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons thin soy sauce
- Pat the sea bass fillet dry. Make 2 or 3 diagonal slashes on both sides of the fish. Lay it on a heatproof serving dish with slightly raised sides. If your wok or steamer is rather small, the fish can be halved.
- Steam in a wok or steamer over high heat for about 8 minutes, until the fish is cooked and the flesh flakes easily. Remove the cover, reduce the heat or turn it off. If too much water from the steam has collected on the dish, use paper towels to absorb some of it.
- Sprinkle with the salt and sugar. Spread the ginger, then the green, and finally the white scallions on the fish.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over high heat until smoke rises. Pour it, little by little, over the scallions and ginger. The sizzling oil partially cooks them, enhancing the flavor.
- Remove the dish from the wok or steamer. Add the soy sauce and serve immediately.
The Cantonese Steamed Sea Bass recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Cantonese Steamed Sea Bass serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Cantonese Steamed Sea Bass recipe is adopted from Yan-Kit's Classic Chinese Cook Book.
Main Ingredient: Bass
Preparation Method: Steamed