4 regular, 6 appetizers
How to cook Captain's Shells
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) frozen fish fillets, cut into 3/4-inch (2-cm) cubes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooking broth
- Grated Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese
4 or 6 shells or individual dishes, greased
- Mix together dry white wine or chicken broth and water; salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Mix in fish cubes; simmer until fish cubes can easily be broken-up with a fork.
- Drain, reserving fish cubes and coking broth.
- Soften green onions in melted butter.
- Stir in flour; salt and pepper.
- Measuring cooking broth, pouring in, if needed, enough milk to get 1 1/2 cups (375 mL).
- Slowly pour cooking broth mixture into flour mixture.
- Cook, stirring, until thick.
- Preheat broiler.
- Mix in reserved fish cubes.
- Pour mixture into greased shells.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese; broil until golden brown.
This recipe for Captain's Shells serves/makes: 4 regular, 6 appetizers
The Captain's Shells recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Various Fish
(more Various Fish
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered