How to cook Carp with Vegetables and Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 1 large whole carp, about 5-6 pounds
- 2 eggs
- 2 onions, cut into quarters
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk leek (white part only), washed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into strips
- 1/2 pound mushrooms (I used oyster mushrooms), washed and coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces frozen green beans
- 4 tablespoons rice wine or dry white
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (I used Kikkoman soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Vegetable oil
- For Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2-3 ounces rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Carefully clean the fish; remove the entrails and gills, leaving the head, tail and fins. Rinse the fish under running cold water inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Make several deep incisions crosswise on each side at intervals of an inch or so.
- Lay the fish on a baking tray, covered with parchment.
- Drizzle with rice wine or dry white, then rub with salt inside and out. Let stand for half an hour.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl with starch and thoroughly brush the carp. Let stand for another 15 minutes.
- Place the onions and garlic in cavity of the fish. Bake in a preheated oven to 320°F (160°C) for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile boil the beans for 3 minutes. Fry carrots and mushrooms in hot oil for about 4 minutes. Add leek and stir-fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add green beans and pour 1 teaspoon soy sauce; stir. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Leave in a warm place.
- Prepare the sauce. Mix in saucepan 1/2 cup of water with mirin, wine and soy sauce.
- Add tomato paste and sugar, mix well. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Dissolve the cornstarch in a little water and gently pour in the sauce.
- Reduce the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes. Pour half of the sauce into the vegetables and mix.
- Transfer the bake fish on a serving plate and garnish with cooked vegetables.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the fish and serve immediately.
- Bon appetit!
The Baked Whole Carp
with Vegetables and Sweet & Sour Sauce is a very affordable dish. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
This recipe for Carp with Vegetables and Sweet & Sour Sauce serves/makes: 8-10 servings
The Baked Whole Carp with Vegetables and Sweet & Sour Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Carp
Preparation Method: Baked