How to cook Cha Ca (Broiled Catfish with Rice Noodles)
- 2 pounds catfish fillets
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon fresh galangal juice or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fine shrimp sauce
Garnishes and Accompaniments:
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill, feathery tops only
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup canola or other neutral oil
- 2/3 pound small dried round rice noodles, cooked in boiling water, drained and flushed with cold water
- To prepare the fish: Rinse the catfish fillets and pat dry. Cut each fillet into index-finger-sized pieces, about 3 inches long and 3/4 inch thick.
- Mix the marinade ingredients well in a shallow bowl that can accommodate the catfish. To extract galangal juice, take a 1 1/2-inch chunk and reduce to a fine texture by slicing or grating, then pound into a mush in a mortar. Press the solids through a fine-mesh sieve to obtain a milky liquid. Coat the catfish in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Remove the marinated catfish from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking. Position a rack 3 inches from the heat source and preheat the broiler for 20 minutes. Arrange catfish pieces on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Broil for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the broiler and make a spout in one corner of the foil, pouring off the accumulated liquid. Flip the fish over and broil for another 5 to 8 minutes. Move to large serving bowl.
- Garnish the fish with dill and scallions. In a small saucepan, heat the oil until faint wisps of smoke start rising. Pour the hot oil over the scallion and dill to wilt them. To eat, each diner combines the broiled catfish and noodles into a small bowl. Garnish with herbs and lettuce and mix well.
The Cha Ca (Broiled Catfish with Rice Noodles) recipe easy to cook and so good!
Per Serving (without garnishes and accompaniments): 374 calories, 46 grams protein, 18 grams fat, 5 grams saturated fat, 1 gram carbohydrate, 0 grams fiber, 139 milligrams cholesterol, 374 milligrams sodium
This recipe for Cha Ca (Broiled Catfish with Rice Noodles) serves/makes: 6 servings
The Cha Ca (Broiled Catfish with Rice Noodles) recipe is adopted from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen by Andrea Nguyen, Bruce Cost, Leigh Beisch.
Main Ingredient: Catfish
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled