6 - 8 servings
How to cook Chesapeake Bay Crab Gumbo
- 1 pound crab meat, drained, picked over to remove cartilage
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups choppped chicken
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed in press
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 Old Bay or Cajun seasoning, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth (homemade or store bought)
- 1/4 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen cut okra
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Gumbo File Powder*
- Placing flour in a large saucepan; cook over medium heat 25 minutes or until very brown, stirring constantly with a whisk. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, celery, pepper, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle flour, thyme, Old Bay seasoning, salt and cayenne over chicken mixture; cook 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add broth, sausage, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes and okra, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add crab meat and cook an additional 5 minutes. The Gumbo File Powder does not go in the pot!
- When ready to eat, sprinkle File Powder over cooked rice and cover with steaming, hot gumbo.
The Chesapeake Bay Crab Gumbo recipe easy to prepare and so good! How many days in a year? Well, that's about how many variations of Gumbo there are!
is a stew or soup originating in Louisiana which is popular across the Gulf Coast of the United States and into the U.S. South. It consists primarily of a strong stock, meat and/or shellfish, a thickener, and the vegetable "holy trinity" of celery, bell peppers, and onion. The soup is traditionally served over rice.
powder, also called Gumbo File
, is a spice made from dried and ground sassafras leaves. It is used in the making of some types of gumbo, a Creole and Cajun soup/stew. It is sprinkled sparingly over gumbo as a seasoning and a thickening agent, giving it a distinctive flavor and texture. File can provide thickening when okra is not in season.
This recipe for Chesapeake Bay Crab Gumbo serves/makes: 6 - 8 servings
The Chesapeake Bay Crab Gumbo recipe is adopted from The Chesapeake Bay Fish & Fowl Cookbook by Joan & Joe Foley.
Main Ingredient: Crab
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew