How to cook Chicken Casalinga with Clams
- 1 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 2 1/2 pound frying chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock, canned or homemade (see the recipe below)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1/2 green pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 pound large fresh mushrooms, sliced
Chicken Stock Ingredients:
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt, pepper and paprika and dredge them in flour.
- In a skillet, heat the oil, add the garlic clove and brown the chicken pieces. When the chicken is brown, remove it and the garlic. Set the chicken aside in a warm place. In the same skillet, cook the onion until soft. Add the stock, marjoram, bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Scrape the skillet with a spatula until this sauce is well blended.
- Layer the chicken, green and red pepper strips, tomato quarters and sliced mushrooms in a 2-quart casserole. Pour in the sauce, cover the casserole and bake it in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 minutes. Add the clams and bake the casserole for an additional 10 minutes, or until the clams open.
- Serve the Chicken Casalinga with Clams over buttered rice or noodles.
How to cook Chicken Stock
Makes about 1 quart
- 1 chicken carcass (cooked, or raw bones and trimmings), with giblets
- 1 large carrot, quartered
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 leek, thoroughly cleaned, and thickly sliced
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 3 parsley stalks
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Bunch of fresh dill
- About 1 1/2 quarts water
- Put all the ingredients in a large kettle, just covering with water and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam as it rises. Lower the heat, partially cover the pan and simmer for 2 hours.
- Alternatively, prepare the stock in a pressure cooker, making sure it is no more than half full. Bring to a boil and skim thoroughly, then bring to 15 pound pressure and cook uncooked bones for 45 minutes; cooked bones for 30 minutes. Reduce pressure quickly.
- Strain the stock, discard the solids and allow to settle for 30 minutes.
- Remove fat with a bulb baster or blot with absorbent kitchen paper. If time permits, cool the stock in the refrigerator to solidify the fat. Remove this just before using - while in place it forms a protective layer on the stock.
- Add salt when using the stock.
The Chicken Casalinga with Clams recipe easy to cook and so good!
This recipe for Chicken Casalinga with Clams serves/makes: 4 servings
The Chicken Casalinga with Clams recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Clams
Preparation Method: Baked