How to cook Chilean Cod with Tomatoes and Onions
- 4 cod or scrod fillets (about 8 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 slices firm white bread, fried in butter, or 1 pound potatoes, boiled and sliced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1/2 cup milk (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Season the cod fillets with salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a skillet, stir in the paprika, add the onion, and saute over moderate heat until it is soft.
- Add the tomatoes and saute for a few minutes longer.
- Butter an earthenware casserole and put a layer of the tomato mixture, then the fish, more tomato, the fried bread or potatoes, and more tomato. Repeat until all these ingredients are used up.
- Or you may have a casserole large enough to hold the fish in a single layer.
- Top with the sliced hard-boiled eggs and pepper stips.
- Cover and bake in a preheated moderate 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 minutes.
- If the dish seems to be drying out during cooking, add up to 1/2 cup milk. This should not be necessary if the tomatoes are fully ripe and juicy.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
The Chilean Cod with Tomatoes and Onions recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Chilean name for this recipe is Congrio en Fuente de Barro
This recipe for Chilean Cod with Tomatoes and Onions serves/makes: 4
The Chilean Cod with Tomatoes and Onions recipe is adopted from The Book of Latin American Cooking 1994.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Baked
Cuisine: South American
(more South American