How to cook Chilean Easy Fish Casserole
- 1 pound mullet (trevally or mackerel) fillets, with the skin
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lime or lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Hot steamed white rice, to serve
- Slice the mullet fillets crosswise into 1-inch strips. Put the flour on a plate or a sheet of wax paper, and coat the strips completely. Shake off any excess flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a 1 1/2 quart (1.5 liter) flameproof casserole over moderately high heat. Cook the mullet strips for 1 minute on each side. Using a slotted spoon, remove the fish to a platter and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and the onion and carrots to the casserole, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the heat, and add the fish, lime or lemon juice, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Bake, covered, for about 10 minutes. When the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, it is done.
- Serve the Chilean Easy Fish Casserole immediately over hot steamed white rice.
The Chilean Easy Fish Casserole recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
This recipe for Chilean Easy Fish Casserole serves/makes: 4 servings
The Chilean Easy Fish Casserole recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mullet
Preparation Method: Baked
Cuisine: South American
(more South American