How to cook Chinese Baked Fish with Scallions and Ginger
- 1 whole (about 2 1/2 pounds) haddock, dressed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 scallions, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts (recipe follows), to serve, optional
Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts Ingredients:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Make cuts in the fish, about 1-inch apart, through the flest and down to the bone, from the gills to the tail. Do this on both sides of the fish.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sherry, scallions, garlic, ginger, and sugar.
- Place the whole haddock in a buttered 8x8x2-inch baking dish, and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the fish.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or longer, depending on the thickness of the fish. When the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, it is done.
- Serve the Chinese Baked Fish with Scallions and Ginger with Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts, if desired.
How to cook Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup walnut or pecan halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Remove the loose and faded leaves and trim the stalk ends from the Brussels sprouts.
- Bring about 1 inch of lightly salted water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Add the Brussels sprouts, and cook, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are tender but still bright green. Drain them in a colander and rinse them quickly with cold water to preserve their color and to stop the cooking.
- Melt the butter in an 8-inch skillet, add the walnuts, and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 3 minutes, or until the nuts brown lightly. Add the Brussels sprouts and the salt and pepper, and continue cooking about 2 minutes - or just long enough to heat through.
The Chinese Baked Fish with Scallions and Ginger recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
is the perfect fish for a quick meal. Other fish such as seatrout (weakfish), sea bass
, orange roughy
or red snapper work equally well.
The Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts dish is festive enough to serve at Thanksgiving or Christmas.
This recipe for Chinese Baked Fish with Scallions and Ginger serves/makes: 6 servings
The Chinese Baked Fish with Scallions and Ginger recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Haddock
Preparation Method: Baked