How to cook Chinese Crisp Stir Fried Shrimps
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh or frozen raw peeled shrimps or prawns, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- Peanut or corn oil for deep-frying
- 1 tablespoon Shaohsing wine or medium-dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons clear stock
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- If frozen shrimps are used, defrost thoroughly. Wash the shrimps under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels but leave damp. Put into a bowl.
- Prepare the marinade: Sprinkle the salt over the shrimps and mix well. Stir in the cornstarch, then add the egg white and stir again to coat the shrimps evenly and thoroughly. Cover and let marinate for at least 5 hours.
- Prepare the sauce: Mix the cornstarch, stock and sugar together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Half fill a wok or deep fryer with oil. Heat until just hot, 300°F (150°C). Carefully add all the shrimps and fry for 30 to 45 seconds, separating them with a pair of ling chopsticks or a long-handled wooden spoon. Remove the shrimps before they are quite cooked with a perforated spoon or strainer and drain on paper towels.
- Pour most of the oil into a container, leaving only about 2 tablespoons in the wok. Reheat until smoke rises. Quickly add the shrimps to the wok and stir a few times with a wok scoop or metal spatula. Splash in the wine or sherry around the side of the wok. When the sizzling dies down, pour in the well-stirred sauce. Continue to toss for a few seconds more. Add salt to taste, if necessary. Transfer the mixture to a warm serving plate. Serve immediately.
This recipe for Chinese Crisp Stir Fried Shrimps serves/makes: 6
The Chinese Crisp Stir Fried Shrimps recipe is adopted from Yan-Kit's Classic Chinese Cook Book.
Main Ingredient: Shrimp
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried