4 - 6
How to cook Chinese Fish Salad with Star Anise
- 2 haddock fillets (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 4 pieces Chinese star anise
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rock or granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing (rice) wine or medium sherry
- 3 slices fresh root ginger, shredded
- 6 tablespoons good-quality chicken or fish stock
- Oil for deep-frying
- Green leaves, such as lamb's lettuce or young spinach, and radishes to garnish
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- Rub the fish with salt and pepper. (Do not remove the skin). Place the onions and star anise in a flat-bottomed pan, then add the soy sauce, sugar, wine, ginger and stock. Place the fish, skin side up, in the pan and marinate for 2 hours. Remove the fish and set aside.
- Turn the heat on under the pan and bring to the boil. Add the fish and simmer for 15 minutes, turning the fish once, and basting until the liquid thickens.
- Turn the heat off and leave to marinate for a further hour. Remove the fish from the marinade and leave to drain on a rack before you complete the last stage.
- Deep fry the fish for 2-3 minutes, skin side down. Remove carefully and drain away excess oil. When the fish has cooled cut it into 1 inch slices and arragne in the centre of a bed of green leaves.
- Garnish with sliced radishes and drizzle with sesame oil.
This recipe for Chinese Fish Salad with Star Anise serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Chinese Fish Salad with Star Anise recipe is adopted from Secrets From a Chinese Kitchen by Vivienne and Jenny Lo 2000 .
Main Ingredient: Haddock
Preparation Method: Steamed