How to cook Chinese Poached Crab and Tempeh
- 1/2 pound (227 g) fresh or canned crab meat
- 4 (3 x 3 x 1/2-inch / 7 x 7 x 1.3-cm) pieces tempeh
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) peanut oil
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) chicken broth
- 3 turns pepper mill
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) cornstarch
- 5 teaspoons (25 mL) cold water
- Thoroughly bone crab meat reserve.
- Half each tempeh piece slice each half into 1/4-inch (6-mm) thick slices.
- Preheat a 12-inch (30-cm) fry pan over high heat for 30 seconds.
- Pour in peanut oil heat oil for 30 seconds.
- Brown green onion in hot oil.
- Stir in salt and chicken broth add tempeh slices.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add crab meat pepper.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Mix together cornstarch and cold water pour mixture into fry pan.
- Cook for approximately 1 minute, stirring, to slightly glaze crab meat and tempeh slices.
- Serve the Chinese Poached Tempeh and Crab immediately.
Tempeh is a fermented food typically made from soybeans, most popular in Indonesia and other parts of Southeast Asia. Tempeh is similar to tofu in providing a way to improve the digestibility of soybeans, but different from it in nutritional characteristics and eating qualities, as tempeh's fermentation process and its retention of the whole bean give it a higher content of dietary fiber and vitamins, as well as firmer texture and stronger flavor. Tempeh is used worldwide in vegetarian cuisine as a meat analogue.
This recipe for Chinese Poached Crab and Tempeh serves/makes: 6
The Chinese Poached Crab and Tempeh recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Crab
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered