8 - 10
How to cook Chinese Seared Ahi Tuna Salad with Mango
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh ahi tuna fillets
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon wasabi (very pungent green Japanese condiment)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 pound wonton skins
- 1 quart canola oil for frying noodles
- 3 ounces saifun (dry bean thread) noodles, broken in half
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup dry roasted, salted cashews
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, sliced very thin
- 1/2 head Savoy cabbage, sliced very thin (same as Napa cabbage)
- 2 bunches scallions, green part sliced diagonally
- 2 mangoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 ounces pickled ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 bunch scallions, white only
- 1 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Chinese sweet and sour sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame oil
- Mix together soy sauce and wasabi. Marinate tuna fillets in mix for 20 min.
- Heat 1/4 cup canola oil in non-stick skillet till warm. Sear tuna fillets about 1 minute per side and chill immediately. Refrigerate for at least 30 min before slicing into 1 1/2 inch pieces, reserving odd sizes to incorporate into body of salad.
- Slice wonton skins into very thin julienne strips. Fry in very warm canola oil in 3 batches. Cook approximately 1 minute, tossing constantly. Drain on paper towels.
- When oil is once again warm, fry saifun noodles in two batches. (They expand rapidly upon hitting the oil.) Turn once, remove from pot; drain on paper towel.
- TO PREPARE DRESSING: Place all ingredients in blender and mix for 3 min.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Reserve small handful of wonton strips and nuts for garnish.
- Combine and toss with dressing the lettuce, cabbage, green onion, remaining nuts, saifun noodles, wonton strips and odd pieces of tuna.
- Place on platter; arrange remaining slices of tuna and mangoes decoratively around salad.
- Top with reserved wonton strips and nuts.
This recipe for Chinese Seared Ahi Tuna Salad with Mango serves/makes: 8 - 10
The Chinese Seared Ahi Tuna Salad with Mango recipe is adopted from The Pasadena Star News - May 4. 2005.
Main Ingredient: Tuna
Preparation Method: Salad