4 - 6 servings
How to cook Chinese Steamed Rock Cod
- 1 whole Rock Cod or Red Snapper about 2 1/2 pounds, cleaned and scaled
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 stalks green onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 -inch thick rounds fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic gloves, sliced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- Add 2 inches of water to a wok or large boiler wide enough to hold the fish. Bring water to a boil and place steamer in the water.
- Put the fish on a plate and place the plate on the steamer. Cover and steam for 5-7 minutes. Do not over cook, a fish is done when you can pierce it through with a chopstick or fork.
- In a wok or a shallow pot, heat oil over med-high heat. When you see a slight smoke, add ginger, green onions, and garlic; stir and cook for 10-15 seconds.
- Mix soy sauce and water together and add to oil in the wok; stir and cook for 5-10 seconds. Turn off heat and pour sauce over fish.
- Serve the Chinese Steamed Rock Cod immediately with jasmine rice and Chinese broccoli.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
The Chinese Steamed Rock Cod is a quick and easy dish to prepare and a healthy one too.
A very simple way to prepare a fish the classic Cantonese style with oil, soy sauce, ginger and green onions.
Tip: For the fish that is previously frozen, 1-2 hours before cooking, sprinkle salt and rice wine or sake evenly on fish and keep refrigerated.
This recipe for Chinese Steamed Rock Cod serves/makes: 4 - 6 servings
The Chinese Steamed Rock Cod recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Steamed