6 - 8
How to cook Chinese Steamed Scallops on Shell
- 20 large scallops
- Peanut or corn oil for deep-frying
- 6 or 8 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 4 or 6 large scallions, white parts only, cut into rounds
- 4 or 6 large scallions, white parts only, cut into silken threads
- 3 to 4 tablespoons peanut or corn oil
- 3/4 inch fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into silken threads
- 3 fresh green chilies, seeded and cut into rounds
- 2 tablespoons thick soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- Remove the frills or rims, sandy and black impurities and the muscles, leaving only the white meat and the corals or roes. Separate the corals from the meat and save them for another recipe or freeze them. Rinse the scallop meat and pat dry, leaving them on the shells.
- Prepare the sauce: Divide the scallions into 2 portions and put into 2 serving bowls. Heat a wok until smoke rises. Add the oil and swirl it around. Lower the heat and add the ginger and chilies. Remove from the heat. After a few seconds, add the soy sauces and water and bring to simmering point. Pour this mixture over the scallions in the bowls.
- Half fill a wok or deep fryer with oil. Heat to a temperature of 350°F (180°C). Put the garlic into a small wire sieve. Dip the sieve into the oil quickly 3 or 4 times, or until the garlic has taken on color. Save the oil for other deep-frying purposes.
- Place 4 or 5 pieces of garlic and the same amount of green scallions on each scallop. Place the scallops in a wok or steamer; some shells can perch on top of other shells as long as they are not pressing down on the meat.
- Steam over high heat for about 7 to 10 minutes. The scallops will be opaque and be just cooked. There will be juice in the shell.
- Remove each shell, taking care not to spill the juice, and put on a large serving platter or on individual plates. Serve hot.
- To eat, put a small amount of sauce on the meat, then break it up to absorb the sauce. As host or hostess, do encourage your guests to pick up the shell and drink the tasty juice as well.
This recipe for Chinese Steamed Scallops on Shell serves/makes: 6 - 8
The Chinese Steamed Scallops on Shell recipe is adopted from Yan-Kit's Classic Chinese Cookbook 1998.
Main Ingredient: Scallops
Preparation Method: Steamed