How to cook Chinese Steamed Whole Pomfret
- 1 whole pomfret (rock cod or flounder), about 2 pounds cleaned weight
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 green onions
- 1 tablespoon ginger root slivers
- 1 cup stock
- 1 tablespoon dry gin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Cornstarch paste
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 sprig Chinese parsley
- Wash pomfret and pat dry, rub with salt. Allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- On both sides of fish, make parallel diagonal cuts 1-inch apart through meaty section. Trim and shred scallions diagonally in 2-inch lengths. Peel and shred fresh ginger root. Place pieces of green onion and ginger in cuts.
- Place fish on greased plate. Steam at rapid boil for 15 to 25 minutes, depending on size. (Fish is cooked when you can flake flesh. Overcooking will toughen flesh, so watch closely.)
- Heat peanut oil in beaker or small saucepan. In wok, heat stock, gin, and sugar.
- When fish is cooked, remove from steamer. Drain juices into stock mixture. Thicken slightly with cornstarch paste. Pour hot oil, then stock mixture, over fish.
- Garnish with Chinese parsley. Serve the Chinese Steamed Whole Pomfret hot.
The Chinese Steamed Whole Pomfret recipe easy to cook and so good!
Each fish should be no more than 2 pounds unless you have a very large steamer. Have your fishmonger clean and scale fish, leaving head and fins intact. You can tell if fish is fresh by the clearness of the eyes and a red tint on the inner edge of the gills.
This recipe for Chinese Steamed Whole Pomfret serves/makes: 6 servings
The Chinese Steamed Whole Pomfret recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Pomfret
Preparation Method: Steamed