How to cook Chinese Steamed Whole Sea Bream
- 1 whole large sea bream (or any white, firm, fleshy fish), about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips + 5 round slices, about 1 inch in diameter and 1/8-inch thick
- 2-3 green onions, cut into thin strips
- 2 small hot red pepper, deseeded and cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or any dry white wine
- Salt to taste
- Freshly grated black pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro to garnish
- Carefully clean the fish, remove the entrails and gills, cut off fins. Rinse the fish under running cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the fish with salt.
- If you have a bamboo steamer large enough to hold the plate, use it. Otherwise, just take a large pan (a wok is good) and pour in about 4 cups of water.
- Place on a heat proof plate 2-3 green onions and lay the fish on top (this will prevent a contact of the fish with the surface of the plate).
- Arrange on top the ginger round slices and put some green onion strips in a cavity of fish.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of wine over the fish and allow to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Place the plate with your fish inside the bamboo basket.
- Pour water in a frying pan and add some slices of ginger and black pepper for flavor.
- Bring water to a boil and place on top the bamboo basket.
- Steam the fish for about 12 minutes, remove the ginger slices and green onions from the fish.
- Then transfer the steamed fish to a warm serving plate and arrange the vegetable stripes on top.
- Heat olive oil in a small frying pan, then pour all over the fish.
- Now dissolve 1/2 teaspoons of sugar in soy sauce and heat in the same small frying pan, then pour all over the fish too.
- Garnish the steamed sea bream with fresh cilantro and serve hot with steamed plain withe rice.
The Chinese Steamed Whole Sea Bream
recipe easy to cook - healthy as well.
This recipe for Chinese Steamed Whole Sea Bream serves/makes: 3 servings
The Chinese Steamed Whole Sea Bream recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Bream
Preparation Method: Steamed