How to cook Christmas Eve Shells
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) large scallops
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) large shrimps
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 1 pound (454 g) fresh mushrooms, cleaned and cut into large dices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) freshly chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups (750 mL) cold water
- Few drops Tabasco sauce
- Few drops Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) butter
- 6 tablespoons (90 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) heavy cream (35%)
- 3/4 cup (190 mL) grated Gruyere cheese
- Into a large casserole, melt 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter brown mushroom dices, chopped onion, chopped parsley, scallops and shrimps.
- Stir in dry white wine sprinkle with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, stirring simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove scallops and shrimps from casserole set aside.
- Mix cold water into casserole.
- Stir in Tabasco sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for 5 minutes, over high heat reserve.
- Into a clean casserole, melt remaining 1 tablespoon (15 mL) butter, over low heat.
- Mix in flour, until well blended.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir in reserved liquid.
- Lower heat well mix in cream.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring, over low heat.
- If desired, thicken sauce.
- Mix in reserved scallops and shrimps reheat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 'broil'.
- Remove from heat.
- Evenly pour into eight (8) shells sprinkle with Gruyere cheese.
- Broil for 5 minutes.
- Serve the Christmas Eve Shells immediately.
This recipe for Christmas Eve Shells serves/makes: 8
The Christmas Eve Shells recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled