How to cook Clam or Mussel Chowder
- 1 pound fresh clams and/or mussels, cleaned
- 3 ounces bacon, cut in strips
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Handful basil leaves, chopped
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 cup cream
- Steam the clams/mussels 10 minutes and take them out of the shells; cut them small.
- Stir fry the onion and the bacon 4 minutes in half of the butter; add the potatoes and the oregano and stir fry 5 minutes more.
- Add 3 cups of water, bring to the boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the rest of the butter and stir in the clams/mussels. Add 1/2 cup of water and heat, but don't boil. Leave it on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Finally, stir the clams/mussels and the liquid into the soup, as well as the cream and the basil and salt to taste.
- Heat before serving, but don't boil.
- Serve the Clam or Mussel Chowder with toasted garlic bread or a buttered crusty loaf of Portuguese or Italian bread.
The Clam or Mussel Chowder recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
This recipe for Clam or Mussel Chowder serves/makes: 4
The Clam or Mussel Chowder recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Clams
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew