How to cook Clams and Rice Yucatan Style
- 36 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 3 ripe tomatoes, seeded, peeled, chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded, chopped
- 2 1/4 cups fish stock or water
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup peas, blanched if fresh
- Juice of 1 lime
- Several fresh cilantro sprigs , to garnish
- Puree the tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers and 1/2 cup of the fish stock or water in a food processor or blender.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof skillet or casserole over medium heat. Add the rice and saute in the oil, stirring constantly, until it is lightly browned - 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, the remaining 1 3/4 cups of stock or water, the salt and some black pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium low and cook the rice, covered, until most of the liquid has been absorbed - about 15 minutes. Stir in the peas.
- Tap the clams and discard any that do not close. Set the clams on top of the rice, cover the dish with aluminum foil and transfer it to the oven.
- Bake the clams until they open - about 10 minutes - discard any that do not open. Drizzle the lime juice over the clams and garnish the dish with the cilantro sprigs.
- Serve the Clams and Rice Yucatan Style immediately.
The Clams and Rice Yucatan Style recipe easy to cook and so good!
This recipe for Clams and Rice Yucatan Style serves/makes: 4 servings
The Clams and Rice Yucatan Style recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Clams
Preparation Method: Baked