How to cook Coconut Crab Curry (Konkani Kurle Ambat)
- 4 crabs
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 5-6 red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Salt to taste
- Clean the crabs. If the crab is big, cut them into 2 pieces to make eating easier. Slightly crush the legs with a pestle (beat it just once or twice just to crack the outer shell slightly).
- To prepare Masala: Heat 1 teaspoon of oil and fry coriander seeds. Grind them with red chllies, coconut and tamarind to a smooth paste.
- Heat remaining oil and fry onions till they are slightly brownish.
- Add ground Masala and salt; cook for 2-3 min.
- Now add the crabs and cook for around 12-15 min.
- Serve the Coconut Crab Curry (Konkani Kurle Ambat) hot with white rice.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
The Coconut Crab Curry (Konkani Kurle Ambat) recipe very simple to cook and very tasty too!
The taste of curry increases once the crabs absorb the gravy. So preferably serve it after 3-4 hours.
Crabs (Kurle) in coconut (Konkani) gravy is one of the classic coconut seafood curries. The delicious and unique flavor of fresh crabs is mingled with coconut juice, chillies to give that stereotypical Konkani edge.
Two things contribute to the delectable success of this recipe - crabs (kurle) have to be fresh and full, secondly, they have to be opened up right into the cooking pan - so that none of the juices are lost.
As a tip - never marinade crab - not necessary - they go right into the pan. However, the longer they stay in the curry after cooking (and off the flame) - the more delicious they get.
This recipe for Coconut Crab Curry (Konkani Kurle Ambat) serves/makes: 4 servings
The Coconut Crab Curry (Konkani Kurle Ambat) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Crab
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered