4 - 6 servings
How to cook Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 pound shrimp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Cooking oil for frying
- Sweet chili sauce to serve (see the recipe below)
Sweet Chili Sauce Ingredients:
- Shell shrimp, leaving tail intact. With a knife, butterfly shrimp by cutting down the center of the shrimp's back all the way down to the tail. Remove veins.
- Using hands, open the flesh until it lies flat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- In one shallow bowl, beat eggs well. In another shallow bowl, place flour. In another shallow bowl, combine shredded coconut and Panko bread crumbs.
- Dredge shrimp in flour, dip in egg and then dredge in coconut-bread crumb mixture to fully coat, pressing down to adhere well.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat about 3 inches deep of oil. Add shrimp in batches and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- Serve the Coconut Shrimp hot.
- 2 - 3 shrimp per person as an appetizer with sweet chili sauce.
Serves: 1 cup
How to cook Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 large red jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch diluted in 2 tablespoons water
- Puree together the jalapenos, garlic, vinegar, sugar, 3/4 cup water, and salt in a blender until smooth as possible. Transfer to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and
- simmer for about 3 minutes or until the mixture slightly thickens.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Add to the pepper mixture and simmer for another few minutes or until the mixture is thickened slightly.
- It's still going to be a little bit runny. The cornstarch is added to help suspend the pepper and garlic bits rather than have them sink to the bottom.
- Let cool completely then store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 30 mins
The Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Sauce recipe easy to cook and so good!
This recipe for Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Sauce serves/makes: 4 - 6 servings
The Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Shrimp
Preparation Method: Appetizer