How to cook Cod and Vegetables en Papillote
- 6 fillets of cod (or any firm, white-fleshed, saltwater fish), about 6 ounces each
- 1 medium zucchini or young squash (about 8-10 ounces)
- 1 medium carrot
- A handful basil leaves
- 3 ounces butter
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Salt and freshly grated black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Slice carrot and zucchini as thin as possible into long strips. (I used a julienne peeler.)
- Cut a parchment sheet into 6 rectangles appropriate size (large enough to wrap 1 fish fillet).
- Arrange 1/6 of vegetable mixture on one side of each parchment rectangle.
- Season with salt and pepper, place a few basil leaves and a little grated garlic.
- Top with 1 fillet of fish and season with salt and pepper again.
- Dot with butter and put a few basil leaves.
- Fold the other side of the paper over the fish and tightly seal with a series of creases, starting with one corner and finishing with a twist at the opposite end, creating a half moon shape.
- Place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the other rectangles and the remaining ingredients.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until parchment is puffed and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and place packets on individual plates for diners to open (carefully, by slitting with a small sharp knife, or unwrapping edges of the packet), or open and transfer contents to serving plates and pour the cooking juice from packets over top.
- Serve the Cod and Vegetables en Papillote with mashed potatoes and lemon wedges.
You can use aluminium foil if parchment paper is not available.
The Cod and Vegetables en Papillote is a very affordable dish. Great tasting food is easy to cook and is also healthy.
Baking in parchment packets or en papillote
is a French cooking technique that steams food by enclosing it in parchment paper and heating it in a conventional oven. The method is most often used to prepare vegetables, fish, shellfish or boneless chicken breast. Liquid is often added to the package to flavor the food and create the steam.
This recipe for Cod and Vegetables en Papillote serves/makes: 6 servings
The Cod and Vegetables en Papillote recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Baked