5 - 6 servings
How to cook Cod in Lemon Tomato Sauce
- 1 3/4 to 2 pounds cod fillets, preferably cod loin* (or any firm, white-fleshed fish fillets)
- 3-4 large tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 ounces green olives, whole or cut into half
- 3 ounces boiling water
- 5-7 feathers green onion, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or tomato puree
- 1 tablespoons white wine vinegar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Rinse the cod fillets and pat dry with a paper towel; cut into portion pieces.
- Peel tomatoes: score a cross in the base of each tomato and cover with boiling water. Leave for 30 seconds, then transfer to cold water. Peel and remove the core and cut the flesh into thin slices.
- In a deep frying pan heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, put the onion and garlic; cook until tender for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper; reduce heat and simmer 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive in another pan and quickly fry on height heat the cod pieces for 1 minute on each side.
- Add the lemon zest, green onions, fried fish, and olives to vegetables.
- Pour 3 ounces of boiling water and white wine vinegar, if desired.
- Simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with steamed white rice or mushed potatoes.
- This dish is equally good hot or cold.
The Cod in Lemon Tomato Sauce
is a very affordable and healthy dish. This is quick, trouble-free and delicious combination of fish, lemon and tomatoes.
*The 'cod loin' are simply cuts taken from the middle part of a filleted cod side. This is considered to be the best part of the cod.
This recipe for Cod in Lemon Tomato Sauce serves/makes: 5 - 6 servings
The Cod in Lemon Tomato Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered