8 - 10 servings
How to cook Crab and Shrimp Cakes with Two Sauces
- 2 pounds crab meat, claw or lump
- 1/2 pound cooked, diced shrimp
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- Cilantro Cream Sauce (recipe follows), to serve
- Red Bell Pepper Sauce (recipe follows), to serve
Cilantro Cream Sauce Ingredients:
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl and whip in all the ingredients except shellfish, onions, and bread crumbs.
- Gently fold these in last, being careful to keep pieces of crab as large as possible. Form into cakes. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Sauté the Crab and Shrimp Cakes in hot butter until golden brown and fully heated.
- Pool both sauces on a serving plate and serve with 1 to 2 cakes per person (depending on size of cakes).
How to cook Cilantro Cream Sauce
- 3 ounces white wine
- 1 ounce white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely minced cilatro
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, in pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Red Bell Pepper Sauce Ingredients:
- Bring the wine, vinegar, onion, garlic and cilantro to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Boil for 3 to 4 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by about half.
- Add the cream and continue to boil about 4 to 5 minutes more, or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and in several batches, slowly whip in the butter pieces. Do not allow the butter to separate. (Remove the pan from the heat if necessary, to keep the sauce from breaking.)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Strain the sauce.
- Keep warm in a double boiler until ready to use.
How to cook Red Bell Pepper Sauce
- 3 red bell peppers, roasted and peeled, about 1 cup pureed
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 pound butter, in pieces
- Put the red bell peppers in a blender and blend with on/offs to chop, then blend until smooth. Add a small amount of white wine, if necessary, to aid blending.
- Bring the wine, vinegar, onions, and garlic to a boil in a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until liquid is reduced by half. Add salt, pepper, and cream and continue to boil for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and stir in the bell pepper purée. Slowly add the butter pieces, stirring constantly, until all the butter is incorporated.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and strain through a fine strainer.
- Keep warm in a double boiler, over hot water, until ready to use.
The Crab and Shrimp Cakes with Two Sauces recipe easy to prepare and so good!
The two sauces served with this dish make all the difference. But, of course, they can be served just as they are.
The Red Bell Pepper Sauce is equally good with grilled seafood and fish.
This recipe for Crab and Shrimp Cakes with Two Sauces serves/makes: 8 - 10 servings
The Crab and Shrimp Cakes with Two Sauces recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed