8 - 12 canapes
How to cook Crab and Shrimp Campechana
- 1 pound precooked jumbo lump crab meat, shells removed
- 1 pound fresh shrimp, shells and veins removed
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 red onion, skinned and diced small
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (reserve a few sprigs for garnish)
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced, for garnish
- 5 ripe tomatoes, seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 4 red bell peppers, stems and seeds removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 white onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 chipotle chilies (from a 7-ounce can)
- TO PREPARE THE MARINADE: Combine tomatoes, red bell peppers, onions, garlic, vinegar, sugar and water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Add salt and chilies. Puree in food mill or blender until smooth.
- TO PREPARE THE CAMPECHANA: Put the shrimp in a pot with about 2 quarts of lightly salted room-temperature water and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and drain before the water boils. Cover the pot and let the shrimp cool.
- Chop the shrimp and crab meat and combine with chipotle marinade, lime juice, onion and cilantro, using as much marinade as needed, mixing all together gently. Chill for at least 30 minutes to 1 or 2 hours for the flavors to marry.
- Garnish the Crab and Shrimp Campechana with freshly sliced avocado and cilantro sprigs and serve with fried tortilla chips.
The Crab and Shrimp Campechana recipe easy to prepare and so good!
is a Mexican seafood cocktail with shrimp, some sort of white fish or abalone, scallops, oysters, mussels, octopus, crab meat, and sometimes baby squid, also diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, Clamato and Lime Juice. Campechana is similar to Spanish ceviche (seviche or cebiche).
In some Mexican recipes or menus you can find a name of 'Campechana Soup', it means seafood mix soup.
This recipe for Crab and Shrimp Campechana serves/makes: 8 - 12 canapes
The Crab and Shrimp Campechana recipe is adopted from the chef Ben Berryhill of Cafe Annie, Houston.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Salad