How to cook Cream Dory with Creamy-Spinach Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds cream dory* fillets, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 bag spinach (pick the leaves and discard the stems if the stems appear tough)
- 1/2 cup milk (I used non-fat), plus more to thin the sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp. finely minced garlic
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 3/4 cup cream
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper. Leave to let the fish absorb the seasonings.
- Boil about eight cups of water.
- Blanch the spinach just until wilted. Drain, dump in a bowl of icy water, drain again then squeeze out the excess water.
- Place the spinach in a food processor or blender, add the milk and process until finely chopped. Do NOT puree because the sauce will look like a mush of green instead of a sea of cream with specks of green.
- Melt the butter in a preheated frying pan.
- Over high heat, pan fry the fish, in batches, until lightly browned. About a minute per side, flipping to brown the opposite side. Lift out the fish cubes as they brown.
- In the remaining butter, saute the onion for about a minute. Add the garlic. Saute for another 30 seconds. Pour in the brandy and swirl the pan around (or stir the vegetables) to loosen the caramelized bits which you want to become part of the sauce.
- NOTE: here that the brandy might flame up. That’s what some cooks intentionally do but I’m too chicken to do that so I lower the heat before adding the brandy, turn it up to medium after the brandy has been added and I let the liquid boil gently until the mixture is almost dry.
- Add the spinach mixture.
- Pour in the cream and yogurt. Stir. If the sauce appears too lumpy, add milk little by little until you get the consistency that you prefer.
- Taste the sauce. Add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Simmer (uncovered, to prevent curdling) for about 3 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.
- Return the fish to the pan.
- Stir everything gently. Cook over medium heat until simmering. Lower the heat and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and serve the Cream Dory with Creamy-Spinach Sauce hot with freshly steamed white rice.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
The Cream Dory with Creamy-Spinach Sauce recipe easy to cook and so good!
*You might want to use a firmer fish like maya-maya (snapper), lapu-lapu (grouper), tilapia, talakitok (trevallly) or any firm-fleshed, mild-tasting fish.
This recipe for Cream Dory with Creamy-Spinach Sauce serves/makes: 4 servings
The Cream Dory with Creamy-Spinach Sauce recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Various Fish
(more Various Fish
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed