4 - 6 servings
How to cook Creamy Clam and Corn Soup
- 2 pounds fresh clams (preferably Manila clams)
- 3 ears sweet yellow corn
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A handful of chopped scallions for garnish
- Wash the clams, changing the water several times. Place in a bowl, cover with water and allow to soak in the fridge for several hours, preferably overnight. Change the water every few hours.
- Peel and finely chop the onion (finely slicing it works too). Shred the corn.
- Fill a large pot with six cups of water and boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, take the clams from the fridge and wash again in several changes of water until no traces of sand are visible.
- When the water is boiling, drain the clams and drop into the hot water. In 5 minutes or so, the clams should have completely opened.
- Remove the clams with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl. Strain the broth over a piece of muslin or cheesecloth just in case the clams expelled more sand.
- Heat the butter in a clean large pot. Add the corn and chopped onion. Cover and cook over low heat with occasional stirring until the corn is done.
- Dump the flour into the pot and stir until no lumps are visible. Cover the pot once more and cook for another seven to eight minutes.
- Turn up the heat. Pour the clam broth in a slow steady stream, stirring as you pour. Add the cooked clams to the pot bring to a boil. Turn off the heat, pour in the cream, stir, and then season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish the soup with scallions.
- Serve the Creamy Clam and Corn Soup hot with buttered bread, oyster crackers or saltines.
The Creamy Clam and Corn Soup
recipe easy to cook and so good!
Fresh clams and corn went into this soup. The clams were soaked overnight with several changes of water to get rid of the sand. The ears of corn were manually shredded and slow cooked in butter.
In this Creamy Clam and Corn Soup recipe use only fresh clams (preferably Manila clams). The result is a fresh-tasting, creamy broth surrounding a mass of tiny sweet clams.
This recipe for Creamy Clam and Corn Soup serves/makes: 4 - 6 servings
The Creamy Clam and Corn Soup recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Clams
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew