How to cook Creole Alligator File Gumbo
- 1 pound alligator tail meat, cleaned of connective tissue and diced
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces flour, toasted in a 300°F (150°C) oven until light brown
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, slightly crushed
- 12 ounces dry sherry
- 64 ounces chicken stock
- 1 pound Andouille sausage, bias-cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons file powder
- Hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Saute Andouille slices in olive oil until lightly browned, add onions, garlic, peppers and celery, sweat until vegetables are translucent.
- Add toasted flour, file powder, tomato paste and seasonings; stir to evenly coat vegetables and sausage.
- Add chicken stock, alligator meat, tomatoes, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire, sherry and salt.
- Reduce heat and let the gumbo simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add additional stock as needed to adjust the consistency of gumbo during cooking, adjust seasonings.
- Serve the Creole Alligator File Gumbo garnished with steamed white or Basmati rice, chopped parsley and bias-cut scallions.
is low in fat and calories and high in protein. A 100gm alligator
serving has 143 calories and 65 mg cholesterol, both less than chicken. Alligator
is also an excellent source of niacin, the B12 vitamins, potassium, and phosphorous minerals.
is a stew or soup originating in Louisiana which is popular across the Gulf Coast of the United States and into the U.S. South. It consists primarily of a strong stock, meat and/or shellfish, a thickener, and the vegetable "holy trinity" of celery, bell peppers, and onion. The soup is traditionally served over rice.
This recipe for Creole Alligator File Gumbo serves/makes: 3 quarts
The Creole Alligator File Gumbo recipe is adopted from The Chefs' Specials of California Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Wild Game
(more Wild Game
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew