How to cook Creole Fish Casserole
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds (454 to 680 g) cooked fish, broken-up into pieces
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) butter
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sage or savory
- 1 (10-ounce / 284-mL) can corn kernels
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) freshly made white breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large measuring cup for 1 minute on 'MAXIMUM'.
- Stir in flour; pour in milk.
- Microwave for 3 minutes on 'MAXIMUM'.
- Stir well; microwave for 2 minutes more on 'MAXIMUM', to get a creamy sauce.
- Mix in dry mustard, some salt and pepper, sage or savory and corn kernels.
- Mix; microwave for 1 minute more, on 'MAXIMUM'.
- Well mix egg yolks and half of the grated cheese.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into sauce.
- Butter a square 8-inch (20-cm) glass or ceramic microwave-safe dish or a deep pie plate.
- Alternately layer fish pieces and sauce, ending with sauce.
- Mix together remaining grated cheese and breadcrumbs; sprinkle over sauce.
- Sprinkle all over with paprika; cover dish or plate with waxed paper.
- Microwave for 10 minutes on 'MEDIUM-MAXIMUM'.
Oven: 700 watts
Preparation time: 12 minutes
Cooking time: 17 minutes
Use, for this excellent meal-dish, any leftover fish, fresh fish, frozen fish or poached fish.
This recipe for Creole Fish Casserole serves/makes: 4
The Creole Fish Casserole recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Various Fish
(more Various Fish
Preparation Method: Microwave