How to cook Creole Fried Fish Sandwich with Quick Slaw
- 4 red snapper fillets (or any firm, white-fleshed fish fillets)
- 4 kaiser rolls
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- Cooking (canola or vegetable) oil for deep frying
- Tartar sauce to serve (optional)
- Slaw (see the recipe below) to serve
- Rinse fish fillets and pat dry. Slice fish in half to get long strips. Place fish in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat to 350°F (175°C), using a cooking thermometer. (If you don’t own one, take a little bit of corn flour drop it in the oil if the corn flour starts to fry quickly and floats to the top the oil is ready.)
- Mix seasoning blend and set aside.
- In a freezer bag add corn meal and flour and half of the seasoning blend, mix well.
- Add remaining seasoning blend, beaten egg, hot sauce, lemon zest and juice, and mustard to fish bowl, mix well.
- Once oil is ready place a few strips fish at a time of fish into corn-flour and shake well to coat.
- Remove excess flour from fish by lightly shaking when removing from bag.
- Place fish in pan and fry 4-5 minutes per side. (Don't over crowd pan.) Repeat until all fish is cooked.
- Remove and place in paper towel to remove excess oil.
- To assemble sandwich, split kaiser roll in half. Top the first half of bread with slaw and place couple of fried fish fillets. Cover with the second half.
- To assemble sandwich, place a small pile of slaw on the bottom half of each kaiser roll. Top with couple of fried fish fillets and a dollop of tartar sauce, if desired. Close kaiser roll and serve.
How to cook Slaw
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, julienned
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning
- Combine all ingredients and stir.
- Refrigerate until ready to assemble sandwiches.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 8 mins
The Creole Fried Fish Sandwich with Quick Slaw recipe very simple to cook and very tasty too!
This recipe for Creole Fried Fish Sandwich with Quick Slaw serves/makes: 4 sandwiches
The Creole Fried Fish Sandwich with Quick Slaw recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Snapper
Preparation Method: Sandwich