How to cook Creole Lobster Cakes with Tartar Sauce
- 1 pound lobster meat, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup seeded and finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup seeded and finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, green parts only
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard*
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups dried fine bread crumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning, (see the recipe below)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Tartar Sauce (see the recipe below)
Creole Seasoning Ingredients:
- Melt the butter in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers. Season with salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are soft and slightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lobster meat, green onions, parsley, mustard, mayonnaise, the cooled vegetables, and 3/4 cup of the bread crumbs. Mix well. Divide the mixture into 10 equal portions and form them into 1-inch-thick cakes (patties).
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour with 1 teaspoon of Creole Seasoning. In another bowl, whisk the egg with the water. In a third bowl, combine the remaining 3/4 cup bread crumbs and Creole seasoning.
- Heat oil to 360°F (180°C) in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Dredge the cakes first in the seasoned flour, tapping off any excess, then in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off.
- Dredge the cakes in the seasoned bread crumbs, coating them evenly. Gently lay the cakes, 3 to 4 at a time, in the oil and fry until lightly golden, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Garnish the fried lobster cakes with parsley and serve with Tartar Sauce.
Makes about 2/3 cup
How to cook Creole Seasoning
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container until ready for use.
Tartar Sauce Ingredients:
Makes about 1 cup
How to cook Tartar Sauce
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions, green part only
- 2 tablespoons drained sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, chopped if large
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- In a bowl, fold all the ingredients together.
- Adjust seasoning, to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, giving the sauce 1 hour to stand before serving for the flavors to marry.
The Creole Lobster Cakes with Tartar Sauce recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
- Pungent prepared mustard made from brown mustard seeds. As a substitute, use any strong flavored prepared brown mustard.
This recipe for Creole Lobster Cakes with Tartar Sauce serves/makes: 10 cakes
The Creole Lobster Cakes with Tartar Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Lobster
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed