4 - 6 servings
How to cook Creole Shrimp Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound medium size shrimp, peel and deveined
- 1 pound cavatappi or elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 stick butter, unsalted
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces grated Gruyere cheese
- 4 ounces grated Gouda cheese
- 4 ounces grated Parmesan or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco hot sauce
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Mix seasoning blend and set aside. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add about 1 tablespoon of salt to boiling water. Add pasta and cook 8 minutes.
- Remove pasta from stove, drain, rinse in hot water, drain again. Coat pasta with about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to prevent sticking and set aside.
- Peel and devein shrimp, place in a bowl and season with 1 tablespoon of seasoning blend and mix well.
- In a skillet, add remaining 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, heat over medium heat. Add vegetables and saute for about 5 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of seasoning blend to vegetable mixture and cook 1 minute more.
- Add shrimp and saute for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Shrimp will finish cooking in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Mix all grated cheese together. Reserve 1 cup of cheese to top the mac and cheese. In a stock pot, add 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Heat to medium heat add flour and whisk well. Cook for about 4 minutes, whisking constantly, add remaining seasoning blend, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Reduce heat to medium low, add cream and milk and whisk well. Add cheese by the handful, whisking well after each addition. Add hot sauce.
- Once all cheese has been added toss in the cooked pasta and shrimp veggie mixture, cook for 1 minute more.
- Butter 4-6 ramekins (about 4 ounces each) or a 13x9 oven proof casserole dish with about 2 tablespoons of butter. Place the pasta cheese mixture in the ramekins.
- Melt remaining butter, toss in panko and minced parsley, and mix well. Top ramekins with remaining cheese topping and sprinkle panko mixture on top.
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for about 15-20 minutes, turn oven to broil and broil for 4-5 minutes are until panko is golden brown.
- Allow Shrimp Mac and Cheese to rest about 15 minutes then serve.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
This baked Shrimp Mac and Cheese is a fantastic one-dish meal - it's so rich and creamy and cheesy, all you'll need is a simple green salad to serve alongside, and your menu is set.
This recipe for Creole Shrimp Mac and Cheese serves/makes: 4 - 6 servings
The Creole Shrimp Mac and Cheese recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Shrimp
Preparation Method: Pasta