How to cook Creole Style Octopus Salad
- 2 pounds octopus, cleaned
- 3 ripe vine tomatoes
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 bunch chives, chopped
- 1/2 bunch coriander, chopped
- 1 red chili
- 1/3 ounce ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
- Juice of 2 limes
- 10 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Extra coriander to serve
- Poach the octopus in salted water in a thick-bottomed pan for about 45 to 60 minutes. Remove and set aside. Using a knife, remove the reddish skin. Cut into small pieces about 1/2 inch (1 cm) wide. Keep in a cool place.
- Remove the cores from the tomatoes, dip them for 30 seconds in boiling water, then cool immediatly in cold water. Peel and quarter them, removing the seeds and any water. Then, cut the quarters lengthwise into fine julienne strips.
- Wash the red chilli, cut into two lengthwise, remove the seeds and cut into fine julienne strips.
- Carefully mix the octopus slices with all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the lime juice and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Leave the mixture to marinate for 10 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.
- Sprinkle the Octopus Salad with coriander leaves before serving.
The Creole Style Octopus Salad recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
Octopus can have a rubbery texture. To avoid this, keep it in the freezer overnight before cooking it to tenderize the flesh.
Alternative: Squid, cut into stick shapes and seared rapidly in olive oil can be used instead of octopus.
This recipe for Creole Style Octopus Salad serves/makes: 6
The Creole Style Octopus Salad recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Various Seafood
(more Various Seafood
Preparation Method: Salad