1 1/2 quarts
How to cook Creole Turtle Soup
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds turtle meat, chopped
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 8 ounce Tasso or Andouille sausage, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning mix
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 5 cups chicken or shrimp stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Half a lemon, sliced
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 3 boiled eggs, grated
- 4 ounces sherry
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and add flour to make a medium brown roux. Add the Tasso/Andouille and vegetables (celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and tomatoes). Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- In a heavy skillet add 1/4 cup vegetable oil, heat, and add turtle meat, brown on all sides and cook for 10 minutes. To the roux and vegetable mixture add the turtle meat, stock, and spices. Cook covered over low heat for 2 hours.
- Thirty minutes prior to serving, add Worcestershire sauce, lemon and sherry. Add parsley and grated eggs 10-15 minutes before serving. Allow to rest for 15 minutes, and then serve. This allows time for all spices to blend thoroughly.
- Serve the Creole Turtle Soup with extra sherry if desired.
The Turtle Soup recipe easy to prepare and so good!
Turtle meat is available from specialty meat and game farms. Turtle has a rich flavor and a delicate texture that is truly unique.
This recipe for Creole Turtle Soup serves/makes: 1 1/2 quarts
The Creole Turtle Soup recipe is adopted from The California School of Culinary Arts in Pasadena - November 8, 2005.
Main Ingredient: Wild Game
(more Wild Game
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew