How to cook Crispy Fried Catfish Fillets
- 6 thin catfish fillets (about 6 ounces each), skinned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cornmeal, yellow or white
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- About 1 cup lard for frying
- Rinse the fillets quickly under cold running water, then thoroughly pat dry using paper towels.
- Mix together the salt, pepper, cornmeal and flour, toss with a fork. Heat about 1/2 to 1-inch of lard in a heavy skillet over medium heat, and meanwhile you can be dredging the fillets in the seasoned cornmeal mixture.
- When the lard is hot enough and not yet at the smoking stage, lay in the fillets, a couple at a time, leaving enough space between to fry up crisp and juice, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- Serve the Crispy Fried Catfish Fillets with lemon wedges, hush puppies, cole slaw, mustard greens and ham hocks, and fried apples or onion rings.
The Crispy Fried Catfish Fillets recipe easy to cook and so good!
This recipe for Crispy Fried Catfish Fillets serves/makes: 6 servings
The Crispy Fried Catfish Fillets recipe is adopted from The Soul Food: Classic Cuisine from the Deep South By Sheila Ferguson.
Main Ingredient: Catfish
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed