How to cook Crispy Tahong (Deep-Fried Mussels)
- 2 pounds large half-shell frozen tahong (New Zealand mussels), thawed
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking oil for deep-frying
- Spiced Vinegar Dip (see the recipe below)
Spiced Vinegar Dip Ingredients:
- Remove mussels from shells. Wash and drain well.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Dredge shelled mussels with flour mixture to completely coat.
- In a pot, heat about 2-inch deep of oil over medium heat. Deep-fry, turning once or twice, flour-coated mussels until golden brown, crispy and cooked through.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- Serve the Crispy Tahong (Deep-Fried Mussels) hot with Spiced Vinegar Dip.
How to cook Spiced Vinegar Dip
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 - 2 Thai chili peppers, minced
- 4 - 5 whole peppercorns, cracked
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, combine vinegar, onions, garlic, chili pepper, peppercorns, and salt.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
The Crispy Tahong (Deep-Fried Mussels) recipe very easy to cook and so good!
(Deep-Fried Mussels) are mussel meat dredged in flour and cornstarch and deep-fried until golden and crisp.
I used frozen green mussels that are already half-shelled. If using live mussels, steam mussels just until shells open and remove top shell.
Do not overcrowd pot during frying, fry in batches as needed.
Tips on how to prepare mussels for cooking.
This recipe for Crispy Tahong (Deep-Fried Mussels) serves/makes: 4 servings
The Crispy Tahong (Deep-Fried Mussels) recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mussels
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried