How to cook Crunchy Fried Shrimp with Cocktails Sauce
- 1 pound (71/90 count) small shrimps, peeled
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Canola oil for deep-frying
- Chili powder to taste (optional)
- Lime or lemon wedges to garnish (optional)
- Cocktails sauce for dipping (store-bought or homemade, see the recipe below)
Cocktails Sauce Ingredients:
- Rinse shrimps under cold running water and pat dry.
- On a shallow plate, combine flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Stir until evenly dispersed.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk and hot sauce. Whisk until well blended and frothy.
- In a deep fryer or in a high-side saucepan on medium heat bring the oil up to a temperature of 350°F (180°C). Check your temperature with a candy thermometer or until a small cube of white bread dropped into the oil turns golden brown in 15 seconds.
- Working in batches, lightly dredge shrimps in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture and then dredge again in flour mixture, patting down flour onto shrimps.
- Gently add into hot oil one by one (to prevent clumping) and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Fry in batches depending on the size of your cooking vessel. Make sure to heat oil back to 350°F (180°C) before adding the next batch.
- With a slotted spoon, remove from pan and drain on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. (Don’t drain on paper towels as the paper towels absorb steam, turning deep-fried foods soggy. Instead, drain shrimps on a wire rack set over a baking sheet - to catch oil drips.)
- Season with chili powder and drizzle with lime juice, if desired.
- Serve the Crunchy Fried Shrimp at once with Cocktails Sauce on the side.
How to cook Cocktails Sauce
- 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- Stir all of the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Taste and season with more pepper as needed.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 20 mins
The Shrimp Tempura with Cocktails Sauce recipe easy to cook and so good!
Want appetizers that pack big flavor and texture? Try these super crisp and crunchy breaded shrimp.
This recipe for Crunchy Fried Shrimp with Cocktails Sauce serves/makes: 4 servings
The Crunchy Fried Shrimp with Cocktails Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Shrimp
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried