How to cook Curried Flounder Madras
- 1 1/2 pounds flounder (sole, halibut, cod, or haddock) fillets
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 green onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or dry white wine (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Shredded Cabbage with Garlic, to serve (recipe follows)
Shredded Cabbage with Garlic Ingredients:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a 9 or 10-inch skillet with an ovenproof handle, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the ginger, yellow onions, green onions, garlic, and curry powder, and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Push the onion mixture to one side of the skillet.
- If the flounder fillets are very thin, fold them in half. They should be about 1 inch thick when folded.
- Place the fillets in the skillet in one layer and spread the onion mixture evenly over the fillets, and sprinkle with the salt.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F (180°C) for 10 minutes or longer, depending on the thickness of the fish. If the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, it is done.
- Serve the Curried Flounder Madras with Shredded Cabbage with Garlic.
How to cook Shredded Cabbage with Garlic
- 1 small head cabbage (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Quarter the cabbage, trim off and discard the core at the point of each quarter, then cut the quarters into 1/8-inch thick slices.
- Melt the butter in a 12 or 14-inch skillet, over moderately high heat. Add the cabbage, and garlic, and stir to coat the cabbage with the butter. Sauté about 1 minute.
- Cover the skillet and cook the cabbage over low heat about 15 minutes, or until it is tender but still crisp, stirring occasionally. Season with the salt and pepper.
The Curried Flounder Madras recipe easy to cook and so good!
If you do not have a skillet with an ovenproof handle, place the fish fillets in an 8x8x2-inch buttered baking dish, add the cooked onion-garlic mixture and the remaining ingredients as directed, and bake.
This recipe for Curried Flounder Madras serves/makes: 4 servings
The Curried Flounder Madras recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Flounder/Plaice
Preparation Method: Baked