How to cook Czech Pickerel and Potato Salad
- 3/4 pound pike or pickerel fillets
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium, new potatoes
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 small celeriac
- 1/2 small sweet onion
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Season the fillets with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Melt the butter in a large pan, add 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1/4 cup of water, the whole peppercorns, and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Add the fillets, cover, and poach for about 10 minutes or till tender. Remove the fish from the liquid and let cool.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water till done. Remove, let cool, peel and dice. Peel the carrot and celeriac, dice them, and parboil in boiling salted water till just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool. Finely chop the onion.
- Using two forks, tear the fish into bite-sized pieces into a salad bowl. Add the potatoes, carrots, celeriac, and onion.
- Sprinkle on the chopped parsley. Add the remaining vinegar, lemon juice, and mayonnaise, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and mix well.
- Cool in the fridge for 1 hour before serving. Serve with lemon wedges.
The Czech Pickerel and Potato Salad recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Czech Pickerel and Potato Salad serves/makes: 4
The Czech Pickerel and Potato Salad recipe is adopted from The Best of Czech Cooking by Peter Trnka 1996.
Main Ingredient: Pike
Preparation Method: Salad