How to cook Czech Salt Cod Fish with Potatoes
- 1 pound salt cod
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 lemons
- Put the salt cod fish is a good quantity of cold water and soak overnight. The next day, rub the cod fish with a fork to loosen the salt and its flakes. Drain the water and put to soak in fresh cold water. Repeat after a couple of hours.
- Put the cod fish in a fresh pot of water, bring slowly to a boil, and cook till tender, about 1 hour.
- Boil the potatoes in their skins in salted water till tender, about 15-20 minutes. Peel them and then finely slice them.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on low heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, till almost golden.
- Put the cooked fish in a large bowl. Using two forks, flake the fish into small pieces. Mix in the boiled potato slices.
- Pour on the onions and garlic and their cooking oil.
- Pour on the juice from 1 lemon. Sprinkle on the chopped parsley and season with freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
The Czech Salt Cod Fish with Potatoes recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Czech Salt Cod Fish with Potatoes serves/makes: 4
The Czech Salt Cod Fish with Potatoes recipe is adopted from The Best of Czech Cooking by Peter Trnka 1996.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered