How to cook Deep-Fried Tilapia with Lemon Sauce and Chili
- 1 large whole tilapia (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour or corn (or tapioca) starch
- 2 - 3 cups cooking oil for deep-frying
- 1 red finger chili, finely sliced (for garnish)
- 3 scallions, cut into 1 inch lengths and finely sliced vertically (for garnish)
For Lemon Sauce:
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- A pinch salt
- A few drops lemon extract
- A few drops yellow food color
- Clean the fish by gutting and removing the gills. Rinse the fish under running cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Make several diagonal slashes on each side of a cleaned fish, maybe every inch or so. Rub the tilapia all over with salt and pepper, including inside. Set aside.
- To cook Lemon Sauce: pour the lemon juice into a pan. Add the sugar. Set over high heat and wait for the sugar to start caramelizing. DO NOT stir to avoid the formation of crystals. You may, however, swirl the pan.
- When the sugar has melted, add the salt, lower the heat to medium and continue boiling gently until thickened. Do not allow the sauce to thicken so much as it thickens some more as it cools. When the sauce is done, add the lemon extract and food color. Swirl around a few times to blend.
- Deep-fry the fish: heat the cooking oil until smoking. Sprinkle the tilapia with flour or starch and slide into the hot oil. Flip halfway through for even cooking and browning.
- When the fish is done, transfer to a serving platter. Scatter the sliced chili and scallions on top. Pour the sauce over and around the fish.
- Serve the Deep-Fried Tilapia with Lemon Sauce and Chili hot with steamed rice on the side.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
The Deep-Fried Tilapia with Lemon Sauce and Chili recipe easy to cook and so good!
This recipe for Deep-Fried Tilapia with Lemon Sauce and Chili serves/makes: 3 servings
The Deep-Fried Tilapia with Lemon Sauce and Chili recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cook Book.
Main Ingredient: Tilapia
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried