3 - 4 servings
How to cook Deep Fried Cod in Yeast and Beer Batter
- 1 pound cod (or any firm, white-fleshed fish) fillets
- Salt and freshly grated black pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Quartered radishes, to garnish (optional)
- Parsley to garnish (optional)
- Tartar sauce, store bought or homemade (see the recipe below)* to serve
- For Yeast and Beer Batter:
- 3 ounces light beer
- 3 ounces water
- 1/3 teaspoon rapid-rise yeast
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric
Tangy Tartar Sauce Ingredients:
- Rinse the fish fillets and pat dry with a paper towels. Cut into serving-size pieces.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate for about 20 minutes.
- To prepare beer batter: combine in a bowl water, beer, turmeric, and salt. Add the sifted flour mixed with dry yeast.
- Mix to make a rather thin batter with the consistency of pancake batter. You may need to add more flour or beer to get the right consistency.
- Cover the bowl with foil or plastic wrap and let rise in warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil. Dip each piece of fish fillet in the batter.
- Fry until golden brown, flipping over for even cooking. This should take about 2 minutes for each side.
- Place the fried fish on kitchen paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Transfer the fish on the serving plate with steamed white rice and garnish with quartered radishes and a small sprig parsley.
- Serve at once with tartar sauce on the side.
How to cook Tangy Tartar Sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet pickle relish (if you don’t have sweet relish, finely chopped dill pickle works great, too!)
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Stir the mayo, relish, mustard, and lemon juice together in a bowl and serve.
The Deep Fried Cod in Yeast and Beer Batter
recipe very simple to cook and very tasty too!
*This is a quick, tangy tartar sauce used with ingredients you probably already have on hand. It’s great with fish sticks, fish and chips, and other fish delicacies.
This recipe for Deep Fried Cod in Yeast and Beer Batter serves/makes: 3 - 4 servings
The Deep Fried Cod in Yeast and Beer Batter recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried