How to cook Deep Fried Monkfish - Tempura
- 1 monkfish tail fillet, cut into angled slices
- 1 egg, white only
- Dash of double cream
- 1-2 tablespoons plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 5 green spring onions, tops only
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat your deep-fat fryer to 190°C/375° F. If you don't have one, heat at least 5cm/2in of oil in a large wok or saucepan and use cubes of bread to test when the oil is hot enough. CAUTION: Do not leave hot oil unattended and never fill the pan more than one third full of oil.
- Whisk together the egg white and cream and dip the pieces of fish in this mixture. Then coat the fish in seasoned flour, massaging the flour into the flesh so it is covered with a thick crumbly layer.
- Deep-fry the monkfish in the hot oil until crisp and golden and drain on kitchen paper. Deep-fry the spring onion tops until wilted and drain also.
- Mix together the soy sauce and lemon juice. Serve the tempura piled on a plate, garnish with the onions and drizzle the soy mixture over the top. Eat at once.
Preparation time: 30minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
If filleting the monkfish tail yourself, cut away the thin membrane covering the outside of the fish. Cut along one side of the central bone to remove the fillet. Repeat on the other side to release the second fillet.
Tempura - Seafood and vegetables deep fried in tempura batter.
Tempura was brought to Japan by the Potuguese. Today Tempura is a very popular Japanese food, and as well one of the best known outside of Japan.
There are a few different ways to serve Tempura. Here are two of them:
Tips on how to make tasty tempura.
- Serve the Tempura pieces on a plate, and prepare some bowls with Tempura dipping sauce.
- Tendon (Tempura Donburi): Put the pieces in Tempura dipping sauce, remove them, and put them on top of cooked rice in a bowl. (One bowl per person)
This recipe for Deep Fried Monkfish - Tempura serves/makes: 2
The Deep Fried Monkfish - Tempura recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Monkfish
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried