How to cook Deep Fried Oysters with Firecracker Sauce
- 24 oysters, shucked and in their own liquor
- 4 cups peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 4 cups Seafood Breading (see the recipe below)
- 1 cup Firecracker Sauce (see the recipe below)
Seafood Breading Ingredients:
- In deep fryer or in a high-side saucepan on medium-high heat bring the oil up to a temperature of 350°F to 375°F (180°C to 190°C). Check your temperature with a candy thermometer or until a small cube of white bread dropped into the oil turns golden brown in 15 seconds.
- Drain the oysters and dredge them with the breading mix.
- Carefully add them to the hot oil, cook until crispy and golden-about 1 minute-and retrieve them with a slotted spoon. You can rest them on paper towels.
- While frying the oysters, heat the Firecracker Sauce in a frying pan.
- Toss in the crispy, fried oysters and coat evenly.
- Serve hot (six per person) with crackers or toast.
How to cook Seafood Breading
- 3 cups hi-gluten flour
- 1 cup cracker meal, fine or medium grind
- 1/4 cup Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
Mix the flour, meal, Old Bay, salt, and pepper together well, and you are ready to go.
Firecracker Sauce Ingredients:
How to cook Firecracker Sauce
- 1 red sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 small jalapenos, cut in rings or seeded and minced
- 2 firecracker peppers (difficult to find: substitute 4 Tabasco peppers), diced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes
- 1 cup Bloody Mary mix (Zing Zang)
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a medium pot saute all of the peppers and the onion in the olive oil over high heat, and add the thyme and oregano.
- Continue to cook on high heat, stirring until the ingredients brown somewhat, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, Bloody Mary mix, hot sauce, sugar, and salt.
- Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes.
The Deep Fried Oysters with Firecracker Sauce recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Deep Fried Oysters with Firecracker Sauce serves/makes: 4
The Deep Fried Oysters with Firecracker Sauce recipe is adopted from The Cooking in The Lowcountry From The Old Post Office by Jane & Michael Stern - 2004.
Main Ingredient: Oysters
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried