How to cook Deep Fried Smelts
- 1 pound (454 g) smelts
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- Salt, to taste
- Parsley sprigs
- 2 lemons, quartered
- Into a deep-fryer, heat vegetable oil to 375°F (190°C).
- Wipe dry smelts; dip smelts into milk, then coat with flour.
- Deep fry smelts into hot oil for 5 to 7 minutes, until golden.
- Drain smelts onto paper toweling.
- Salt smelts.
- Arrange smelts onto a serving plate
- Serve decorated with parsley sprigs, along with lemon segments.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Frying time: 5 - 7 minutes
Fresh smelts should be stored refrigerated at 32°F to 40°F (0°C to 4°C), excess liquid drained, packed into airtight containers and eaten within 3 to 4 days, or 1 to 2 days when fried.
Smelts should be frozen at 0°F (-18°C), into airtight food containers, immediately after buying; bought frozen, smelts should be eaten within 4 to 6 months for maximum freshness.
This recipe for Deep Fried Smelts serves/makes: 4
The Deep Fried Smelts recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Smelt
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried