How to cook Deep Fried Squid
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) fresh or frozen squid
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk
- Lemon wedges to garnish
- Parsley to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thaw frozen squid clean squid, remove the head.
- Skin body, removing fins slit hollow body cavity, flatten and scrape clean with a knife.
- Rinse well pat dry.
- Hold the body of the squid with one hand and the head with the other pull gently to separate.
- Remove the intestines and the quill, which is clear and plastic-like, of the fresh squid.
- Rinse the body inside-out, under cold running water pat dry.
- Remove tentacles from head, just below the eyes cut into individual pieces.
- Remove brownish or purplish outer skin from the body cut the flesh into 1/4-inch (1-cm) rings.
- Mix together flour, salt and pepper on a sheet of wax paper.
- Toss rings and tentacles into flour mixture, until coated.
- Preheat oil to 350 degrees F (180°C) fry the squid pieces, about 6 at a time, saving tentacles until last.
- Remove pieces from the oil when brown and crisp, using a slotted spoon drain onto paper toweling.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt repeat with the remaining squid pieces.
- Pieces should take approximately 3 minutes to cook.
- Arrange the Deep Fried Squid onto serving plates garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.
This recipe for Deep Fried Squid serves/makes: 4
The Deep Fried Squid recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Squid/Cuttlefish
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried