How to cook Dutch Fried Smelt with Celery
- 2 pounds (900 g) smelt (about 6 smelt per person)
- 1 pound (450 g) celery
- 8 medium potatoes
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Cut the celery stalks into short sections and simmer them slowly in lightly salted water until they are tender (about 40 minutes).
- The potatoes are to be done in Dutch fashion. Boil them until they are just cooked but still firm.
- Cut the potatoes into slices and pan-fry these.
- Take off the smelt heads and gut them. Coat the smelt with flour.
- Either pan-fry them over a high heat or deep-fry them.
- They should emerge brown and crisp from either treatment.
- Serve the fried smelt hot with the celery and potatoes.
The Dutch name of this recipe is Gebakken Spiering met Selderij
. This is the favorite dish of Dr Doif Boddeke, a Dutch marine biologist who takes a passionate interest in fish cookery.
The Dutch Fried Smelt with Celery is a very affordable dish. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
This recipe for Dutch Fried Smelt with Celery serves/makes: 6
The Dutch Fried Smelt with Celery Recipe adopted from the book North Atlantic Seafood.
Main Ingredient: Smelt
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed