4 - 6
How to cook East African Cod with Coconut Sauce
- 4 fresh cod steaks, (about 1-inch thick and 6 ounces each)
- 1 medium-sized dried coconut (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds fish trimmings; head, tail, and bones of any white-fleshed fish
- 1 small onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 small bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 dried hot chili in 1 piece
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Open the coconut, following directions. Peel and finely grate enough of the coconut meat to make 1 cup. Set the grated meat aside. Chop the remaining meat coarsely, add 4 cups of hot water, and prepare coconut milk according to directions.
- Pour the coconut milk into a heavy 3 to 4-quart casserole. Add the fish trimmings, onion, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns and salt and, stirring occasionally, bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes. Stain the contents of the casserole through a fine sieve set over a deep bowl, pressing down hard on the trimmings and vegetables with the back of a spoon before discarding them.
- Dry the casserole with paper towels. Return the strained stock to the casserole and add the cod steaks and the chili. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, and simmer partially covered for 10 minutes, or until the cod is tender and flakes easily when prodded gently with a fork. Transfer the fish to a heated platter and drape with foil to keep it warm. Briskly boil the stock remaining in the pan until it is reduced to 2 cups.
- In a heavy 8 to 10-inch skillet, melt the butter over moderate heat. When the foam begins to subside, stir in the flour and mix together thoroughly. Pour in the fish stock and, stirring constantly with a whisk, cook over high heat until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 3 minutes, then stir in the reserved grated coconut and the parsley, and simmer until the coconut is heated through. Taste for seasoning, then pour the sauce over the fish and serve at once.
The East African Cod with Coconut Sauce recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for East African Cod with Coconut Sauce serves/makes: 4 - 6
The East African Cod with Coconut Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered