8 - 10
How to cook Easy Baked Gefilte Fish
- 3-4 pounds shad or mackerel
- 2 eggs
- 2 large onions, chopped fine and sauteed in butter until transparent
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons matzoh meal
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Skin, fillet, and grind fish.
- Add eggs, salt, pepper, and water alternately with matzoh meal.
- Add sauteed onions. Chop together well and make into large patties about 1 inch thick.
- Lay out in large greased baking dish. Put a little piece of butter on top of each patty.
- Add enough water to cover fish. Bake in moderate oven 1 hour, or until water bakes out and fish is light brown.
- Serve hot or cold.
The Easy Baked Gefilte Fish is a very affordable dish. Great tasting food is easy to cook and is also healthy.
Gefilte fish is a ground fish recipe, popular with people of Ashkenazi Jewish heritage. Formally, it is a type of quenelle, a delicately flavored patty made of lightly seasoned ground fish or white meat. Similar dishes exist in many cultures in local recipes bland or spicy, served plain or sauced, and cooked in simple broth or as part of an elaborate fish stew.
This recipe for Easy Baked Gefilte Fish serves/makes: 8 - 10
The Easy Baked Gefilte Fish recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Shad
Preparation Method: Baked